Gayabaree & Millikthong Estate
Sprawling over an area of 812.85 hectare and situated in the Mirik Valley, Gyabaree & Millikthong Tea Estate is one of the biggest Tea Estate in Darjeeling district with an annual production of 2,75,000 kg.
Gyabaree & Millikthong Tea Estate is a Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point (HACCP) & Safe Quality Food (SQF) certified tea estate by the Societe Generale de Surveillance (SGS).
Why Gyabaree & Millikthong is renowned for its fine quality teas?
- Experienced and skilled workers have mastered the art of plucking tea leaves.
- Extensive quality control mechanism and strict supervision.
- Presence of the quality manufacturing culture which is implemented right from the plucker to the Manager.
- Optimum soil conditions; altitude; weather; and tea bushes with a heritage of supreme quality, have been a gift of nature.
- Personalized management and direct supervision from the Board of Directors.
- Where the art of making tea is an act of pleasure. Our decades of experience have taught us to harvest the leaf at the right stage (because even a delay of one day could hamper the tea quality) and identify the optimum time in which the best character of the bush is fully expressed.
We take special care during the storage and transportation of the harvested green leaves as they are extremely tender and can easily be damaged by improper handling, bacteria and heat.
A final prepack backing is also done to remove excess moisture present in the tea leaves which significantly enhances shelf life and encourages the tea flavour to mature over a period of time as in the case of fine wines.
Moreover, in order to maintain the final product as “authentic” as possible, we still use the original old machines which cost more to run but preserves the original Darjeeling character better.
The originality and authenticity of the China bushes, in the natural fragrant breeze wafting on the slopes, is intensified furthermore, thus producing exquisite china and Wiry teas. The processing of the leaves with grate care brings a nice spicy flavour of typical “Millikthong”, thus producing very encouraging teas for the price conscious traders all over the world. This garden is also specialized in making "Black Pearl" tea which is very popular in Japan.
- The garden is North East facing with gentle hill slopes.
- The garden ranges from 1500 – 4500 ft. above sea level.
- There is ample amount of rainfall throughout the year.
- The local weather is very suitable for the garden as it has a cool temperature, generous rainfall and cloudy sky broken by bright sunshine at regular intervals. As a result, the factors combined help in maintaining the fine fragrance of the tea produced.
- The old plantation is replaced by new ones to an extent of 2% every year.
- The upper division of the garden “Millikthong” has extensive concentration of china bushes which produces China and Wiry teas for price sensitive traders.
- The estate is HACCP certified.
Quality and its Seasons